Saturday, March 28, 2009

What to Do, What to Do

I'm stumbled into a bit of a conundrum. UT's RTF department has this program called UTLA. Basically it's a study abroad program, except it's in Los Angeles. I'd spend a semester taking classes and working as an intern in like a film studio, a tv show, or something of the like, depending on what I want to do with my degree. Most people who participate in this program end up having their internships roll into full time jobs after graduation. Matt and I both want to do this, but it poses more of a problem for me because I can't afford it, while Matt can. He says he won't go without me, but I'd feel horrible if that were to happen because I don't want him to miss any opportunities that he very well had access to. If he wants to go out to LA, he should be able to, without worrying about me. This could very well lead to jobs for us in an industry that is notorious for being hard to get your foot in the door. I want Matt to be successful, because he very much has the potential to be, and I don't want to be the one who deters him from that. Plus, I WANNA GO! Although, the one down side in my mind about all this is, what if we do end up living in LA after graduation? I never really saw myself living out there; I figured I'd stay in Austin. I also don't really see Matt and I starting our family out there. We may even get married out there. But all in all, this seems like the smartest option if it's going to lead to jobs. So basically I have about a year or so to come up with the money to go. I'm just going to have to work my ass off to get there. 

"Let's pack up and move to California, she's got lots of friends out there. We'll never get bored cuz we can go boarding. Let's let the sunshine take us there"
- California, Hawk Nelson

2 comments:

  1. If that's what you want to do, I'm sure you'll make it there. Just follow your heart. I'll miss you, though.

    ReplyDelete